If you need assistance with college planning, call Michelle at 626-627-2596 or click to contact her by email:

Disclaimer: Content on this page is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be legal advice.  It is informational only and is meant to briefly describe one aspect of special education

 College Planning

A child receiving special education services is not a limitation on their ability to go to college. It is important to create a plan to get to college and a plan to transition from high school to college.

1. Assisting your student with researching schools, eligibility requirements and each college's 'Student's with Disabilities' center

2. Your student's special edcuation teacher will provide instruction and modeling in how to advocate for his/her learning needs in college courses

3. Students general education teacher will provide direct instruction in reading comprehension and written expression

4. Students special education teacher will provide sample test questsions to help students achieve test scores needed to meeti college eligibility requriements

5. IEP team leader can provide student with support in organization to prepare studen to mulit-course loads, schedules and deadlines

6. Once a student goes to college, they no longer have an IEP.  However, once in college, they can have a 504 Plan (see 504 Plan page).  Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, colleges must provide "reasonable accommodations" to those in need

If your child is in special education and plans to go to college, Federal IDEA requires a child's IEP to provide for a transition plan from high school to college.  When a child with an IEP turns 16, the IEP team will work to develop a transition plan to address preparation for college.  A transition plan could include: